Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Couple Questions About Piercings...?

Q: I have been looking into getting my tongue pierced for about 5 and 1/2 months. I've read about the dangers, watched about a million procedures on youtube, and it is something I'm pretty sure I want to do. I am worried about the risks, however. So, my first question is: What would you estimate the percentage of people who get their tongue pierced have problems with it? I plan on going to a member of the APP in Eureka, Oregon or Roseburg, Oregon. I live in a very very very very small town and these places are about 100 miles away.





Q: I plan on going to college, Medical school and to specialize in anesthesiology. This is probably a stupid question, but do you think I could wear a retainer in the tongue piercing during my schooling and possibly for work? Do I need to wear a retainer during college? Are they noticeable enough to mark me down on an interview?





Q: I honestly hate it when old people get their tongue pierced because I think it looks really trashy. I don't know about you guys, though. So, how old do think is the maximum age to keep a tongue piercing? I do not smoke or do any other drugs and don't plan to, so hopefully I will not get too many wrinkles before I'm 40 :)





Q: I have also seen and read about the procedure of a tongue splitting. Now, I promise you I will never ever ever ever ever ever EVER get my tongue split. I am 99% sure that it would keep me from getting a job. But, my question is: Which is more dangerous? A tongue splitting or a tongue piercing?







I have heard so many different statements on how long you should wait to change the piercing. I've heard wait until the swelling goes down, wait 2 weeks, wait 6 weeks, etc. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with what my piercer tells me, but I'm still not sure. I plan to wear acrylic beads so I don't ruin my teeth.



The website I found the professional piercer(s) (there were only 2) is safepiercing.org

What do you think of this website? Do you have any experience with them? Are they qualified?



The one I want to go to is called Primal Decor in Eureka, OR

The only other one I could go to is called High Priestess in Roseburg, OR



They both look professional, but I have not visited them. Do you have any experience with either?





Thank you!A Couple Questions About Piercings...?
okay first - good piercing choice - i had a tongue ring and loved it - still do :( -

okay im gonna try too answer all your questions to the best of my ability :)

Q1 : i dnt know the percentage exactly but people really dnt have problems with it. the main reason why people have problems with it is that there piercer didnt pierce it too good and hit or vain. or the bar was to short and it grew over it, or the person who got it pierced didnt follow proper after care instrustions. what i would do if iwere you is goo to a REALY good place. make sure that there really clean and ask TONS of questions, if they dnt wanna answer you then donnt do it there. i good piercer should answer all your questions and make you feel comftable :)

Q2 : yes once its healed you can wear a retainer. or you can wear a clear plastic barbell with a clear plastic ball. its really hard to see. noo once your in college you can walk around with spetrums and lip rings - a face full of piercing - but if you had a job interview, or had to meet with someone or something a retainer is a way to go because, people dnt like piercing and would turn a smart hard working person down just because of that ;P

Q3 : i love tongue piercings people say it looks trashy but tongue rings arent really trashy unless you make it trashy - EX ; wearing those nasty tounge rings that have stupid words on it like %26quot; slut %26quot; - %26quot; i swallow %26quot; umm .. yeah i dnt know if you seen them but yeah those are just nasty ;P if you wear a nice simple tongue ring in it and dnt try to show it around too muchh it, it would look really nicee :). i think that the max age for me is 32 ;P - thats my point where im gonna take of alot of my piercings :( - maby some people can make it with 40 but i dnt know it doesnt look good in my opinon. piercings should stay on people in there 20's :P

Q3 : omg ONEHUNDRED PERCENT a tongue ring - lol - when you split your tongue you cut open your tongue giving bigger chance of infection. a tongue ring is a small hole in your tongue - not much damage ;P

yeah its 2 weeks - some piercers sayy a week and a half ; go with your piercer - if the swelling goes down and it look better you can go and take it off in a week - but you would have to go back to your piercer. best thing is wait 2 weeks. its not gonna hurt right? ;) and yeah they are actually bad for your gums. most people prefer to wear the metal balls that they pierce with, or other metal ones that have diffrent designs. when people wear these the metal scrapes against the gum and teeth weaking the gum and enamal on your teeth. thats why dentist always advise you not to get that piercing. there is a solution and thats to wear arcliyc balls. ( as you said ) those are so much better because they dnt were down the enamal in your teeth. also if you accidently bite down on them they break, instead of your teeth - which the metal ones can doo - the arcylic comes in so many colors and designs i love them way better than the metal ones anyways ;P - if you likee the look of the metal ones you can wear the metal on the top - so people can see that onee - and wear an arcylic ball on the bottem so it doesnt damage your teeth (:





sorry i dnt anything about the website or the stores - but if the shops are clean and there professionals id say go :)

GOODLUCK :D - %26amp; GREAT CHOICE



ADDITIONAL DETAILS - well that depends, the piercer may find away to pierce around it. i would say go just too see it you can or cnt do it :)A Couple Questions About Piercings...?
99 percent of tongue piercings do just fine. Since they're an oral piercing, and the mouth is very clean. They heal very easily, and that's why they're the most common piercing. I've never heard of anyone having an infection with a tongue piercing if they take care of it.

They do sell retainers, but normally you don't even see a tongue piercing unless you're talking with your mouth wide open. A few people even notice I have one at all.

I plan on taking my tongue piercing out once I have kids, or get married. :P I could keep in though, because once again you don't really see them unless you're looking for them.



Tongue spitting is obviously more dangerous, but only a little bit. You'd be surprised how the mouth can heal and take care of itself. Most people who split their tongue only have to worry about it growing back together.



You should wait 14 days at the most to change a tongue piercing. When they first pierce it, the barbell will be an inch long. If you keep it in after the swelling has gone down, then there's a really good chance you can chip your teeth. After 14 days you should buy a 5/8 of an inch barbell. Which is the normal size people sell.



Primal Decor has a really good staff, and they're clean. I'd go to them if you could.

Good luck, and don't worry!

No comments:

Post a Comment