Thursday, June 2, 2011

How to deal with older brother?

My brother is 15 years old and doesn't seem to change his ways. Lately my brother's been asking for a new cell phone but his current phone is completely touch screen, costs $400, and is only 1 1/2 years old. So one day my brother came in telling my dad that some guy wanted to trade phones and my dad went ballistic. I know that sounds going overboard but that's not the only stupid stunt my brother's done. He used me to get a game console and I never even got a chance to play it. He comes into my room and demands money from me.



When we went to California to visit a friend of my dad's, I (was 13 at the time) ended up playing tag with the 11 year old son of my dad's friend and some other 11 year olds. I wasn't upset about playing with little kids because it wasn't that bad. I was mad because my brother refused to let me hang out with the older sister. She was my own gender and age. I was happy because I don't have any cousins that fit that description and she was pretty much like a cousin. And the only reason why I couldn't hand out with was because they were going to see the movie %26quot;Orphan%26quot; and my brother didn't want me to mess up his game. And the list would go on.



So once my mom came home, my dad called everyone down and had long painful lecture on how my brother is selfish. So afterwards my brother got all upset. Then the next day my dad came and apologized to him for being so hard. Now everything's back to normal. But I feel as if my dad's talk had no effect on him whatsoever. He still stays in his room playing his Xbox 360 all day and only comes down to eat or to tell me to stop watching youtube videos because I'm lagging up his connection.



I don't know what to do. All I want is a caring brother. Is that really too hard to ask? I know I've done some pretty messed up things to him but that was when I was a toddler. I want to love him but his attitude just keeps preventing from doing so. Is this just some phase my brother's going through?How to deal with older brother?
I don't know if what you did as a toddler counts. Toddlers do a lot of things that are forgivable because they are too young. If he is using that for guilt, he can forget it.



I have three older sisters. When we were young, the sister that was just above me in age was so MEAN to me. I mean to the point of being cruel. She really messed with my head and tore up my self-esteem. So I think I understand how siblings can be just awful.



I am an adult now and my sister has no control over me anymore. I know better. I won't let her do it anymore. One day, I just said, %26quot;That's enough. I am tired of her controlling my life.%26quot; She's actually almost afraid of me now. It just took one time of standing up to her.



You may be young and not have lots of life experience in dealing with people, but I think you can deal with your brother. The first thing to do is when he bosses you, JUST SAY NO. Just refuse to let him lord it over you. He is not your master. Whatever threats he uses against you remember that you have your parents to back you up.



I do think it was a mistake for your dad to apologize for what he said. If your brother is so selfish, he needs to be told so and he needs to stop. So what if he got upset. Look how he is making everyone else upset. Your parents have the power to control his ways and they should do it. However, that is not your responsibility. There is no harm in reminding them, though.



It is not hard to figure out what to do to stand up against someone. If something they do or say to you is wrong, just don't accept it. Do whatever you need to do to REFUSE their control over your life. For example, if you're watching YouTube and his connection is lagging, tell him when he starts paying for the internet bill you will turn off YouTube. It's really simple.



Don't worry about him liking you for now. That will come when he learns to respect others and not think only of himself.



Hope this helps a little bit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment