Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Great Ethernet Cable Mystery! - A real mind bender!?

My room is a little out the way from my Netgear wireless router so i run an ethernet cable from the wireless box to connect to the internet. For some reason, the internet has started being extremely temperamental. Its running very slow, or stops all together, despite it showing the status as running normally.



I try to go to a page and the browser instantly recognises the site but fails to load the content properly or runs too slow to bother with. It always seems to be 'transfering data' according to the loading staus at the bottom. This is especially prevalent for sites such as YouTube, where video takes an age to load or tries to load the graphcis forever.



I replaced the cable and also tried using different ports, but that hasn't worked. My laptop is old and buggy so i though it could just be that, but i tried the cable on my girlfriends laptop with the same thing happening.



This is very strange as the wireless in the rest of the house is working fine. And to make this even more of a mystery, the Xbox seems to work ok using the cable, albeit a bit more temperamental. And to top it all off, i even tried using the cable on my sister's brand new laptop. It had the same problems, but not as bad as the other laptops, and last night it even ran close to normal speed for a while.



I havnt change any settings, ISP, routers etc. at all recently. From all that, im guessing its probably a problem with the router, but what? And how can some laptops be affected greater than others? How can the Xbox run almost normally? Ive run the internet through a cable to my room for years without any problems, then all of a sudden, this happens! Its a complete mystery and its seriously irritating!



Any help would be greatly appreciated as im at a complete loss. Thanks very much!The Great Ethernet Cable Mystery! - A real mind bender!?
Your problem is that your laptop is probably still trying to connect to he wireless. Try disabling the wifi and see if you get better results.The Great Ethernet Cable Mystery! - A real mind bender!?
check the speed setting in your ethernet port match those of the router ports.The Great Ethernet Cable Mystery! - A real mind bender!?
Well, my guess is that your internet sucks...

hmm...I just got my 100ft Ethernet cable today, to run though my ceiling, so I can have a router on my side of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment